Exploring Spitsbergen via the Faroes and Jan Mayen on Ocean Adventurer
When you think of history and culture, the icy expanse of the Arctic Circle might not be the first destination that springs to mind. So, it might surprise you to learn that a journey to this northern tip of the world is rich with Norse mythology, Viking history and Inuit culture. From artefact-filled museums, old whaling stations and historic Viking towns there are plenty of cultural sites to uncover. There will still be plenty of opportunities to experience the unique Arctic wilderness with visits to fjords, glaciers and icebergs aplenty – and make sure you keep an eye out for the illusive polar bear…
- Spot puffins on Fair Isle, the United Kingdom’s most remote inhabited island.
- Explore the maze of narrow laneways in Torshavn’s Old Town.
- Experience the mountainous beauty of Jan Mayen.
- Search for Hornsund's abundant wildlife, including reindeer, auk and polar bears.
- Adventure and Active
Ocean Adventurer has long been a fleet favorite among guests and crew who've appreciated the charm and intimacy of this 128-passenger vessel, its ample outdoor deck space, numerous cozy spots to socialize onboard - and the outdoor jacuzzi. A few years ago, Ocean Adventurer underwent a multimillion-dollar renovation involving a talented team of marine architects, engineers, interior designers and polar expedition specialists. Quark Expeditions is proud of the enhancements to the much-loved polar vessel - which subsequently won the Travel Weekly Magellan Award for Overall Small Cruise Ship (500 passengers or under).
The refurbishments now enjoyed by guests:
- A refreshed, contemporary new look and feel throughout the ship
- The addition of six new twin cabins and three new suites
- All existing cabins furnished with new soft furnishings and brand new bathrooms
- Remodelling of common areas such as the Lounge and Dining Room
- Major technical enhancements, such as two new Rolls Royce engines, which increase fuel efficiency and minimize carbon footprint.
Our leaders are born and raised in-count ...